Sausalito, California, December 3. Mike Wolfe of Helena, Montana pulled away from Dakota Jones in the final 6 miles to win The North Face Endurance Challenge 50-Mile Championship. The win concluded a stellar year for Wolfe, who finished second at both Western States and Miwok, and won the Way Too Cool 50K in course record time.
Anna Frost of New Zealand successfully defended her championship from last year, besting Western States champion Ellie Greenwood by 11 minutes.
The race was held under sunny skies and balmy temperatures, with highs in the upper 60s. The course was modified from previous years due to construction in the park. There were 317 finishers out of 360 starters.
1. Mike Wolfe, 33, Helena, MT, 6:19:04
2. Dakota Jones, 21, Durango, CO, 6:21:51
3. Adam Campbell, 32, Victoria, BC, 6:34:35
4. Timothy Olson, 28, Ashland, OR, 6:38:54
5. Geoff Roes, 35, Nederland, CO, 6:46:18
1. Anna Frost, 30, Dunedin, New Zealand, 6:56:07
2. Ellie Greenwood, 32, Banff, AB, 7:07:24
3. Joelle Vaught, 36, Boise, ID, 7:40:46
4. Kristin Moehl, 33, Seattle, WA, 7:46:49
5. Tyler Stewart, 33, Novato, CA, 8:00:52
Photo: Mike Wolfe at the 2011 Western States 100 (photo by Michael Kirby)