Six runners completed the 2008 Grand Slam of Ultra Running, which this year was altered by the cancellation of Western States. The Arkansas
Traveller was added in its place. Twenty-seven Grand Slam hopefuls started the Vermont 100 Mile Endurance Run, but after rough weather at
the Leadville Trail 100, only six remained. All six were able to finish the Wasatch Front 100 Mile Endurance Run and the final leg of this year’s
slam, the Arkansas Traveller 100. Dan Brenden of Arizona finished the Grand Slam for the fifth consecutive year.
Grand Slam of Ultra Running
Vermont 100, Leadville Trail 100, Wasatch Front 100,
Arkansas Traveller 100
1. Perry Edinger, 47, AZ, 96:38:12
2. Stan Ferguson, 44, AR, 105:16:19
3. Dan Brenden, 57, AZ, 110:45:17
4. Carol O’Hear, 33, MA, 110:52:40
5. Allan Holtz, 58, MN, 114:56:02
6. Kristina Irvin, 50, CA, 116:01:43
Grand Slammers from left to right: Stan Ferguson, Perry Edinger, Carol O’Hear, Dan Brenden, Kristina Irvin and Allan Holtz.
(photo courtesy Steve Baugh)