South Woodstock, Vermont, July 19. Jack Pilla of Charlotte, Vermont won the Vermont 100-Mile Endurance Run today at age 51, which is believed to be the oldest winner of a major 100-mile run ever. Pilla finished well clear of a pair of 28-year-olds for the win.
Stephanie Case of New York City was the women’s winner, besting Jill Perry and Serena Wilcox for the win. The race was held under ideal weather conditions, with partly cloudy skies and temperatures reaching only the low 70s. Heavy rains on Friday did create several sections that were more than a little muddy. Of the 249 starters, 176 finished within the 30-hour time limit.
1. Jack Pilla, 51, Charlotte, VT, 16:36:21
2. Jason Lantz, 28, Lancaster, PA, 17:19:44
3. Jim Sweeney, 28, Albany, NY, 17:55:56
4. Daniel Larson, 33, Cambridge, MA, 18:15:43
5. Brian Schmidt, 41, Leesburg, VA, 18:16:22
1. Stephanie Case, 27, New York, NY, 18:38:42
2. Jill Perry, 39, Manlius, NY, 19:30:38
3. Serena Wilcox, 30, Cambridge, VT, 19:50:52
4. Annette Bednosky, 43, Jefferson, NC, 21:11:18
5. Lori Anne Lebel, 36, Danvers, MA, 22:28:32