Mill Valley, California, November 26. Leor Pantilat smashed the course record in winning the Quad Dipsea for the second straight year. Pantilat won his 14th straight ultra, ten of which have been course records. Pantilat’s last loss was at the 2008 Quad Dipsea, when he suffered from cramps and finished 18th.
Cedar Bourgeois from Seward, Alaska won the women’s race in her first ultra. Former winner Kim Holak finished strong for second. The race contains more than 9200 feet of ascent and an equal amount of descent over 28.4 miles. Of the 264 starters, 232 finished under ideal weather conditions, with mostly sunny skies and high temperatures in the low 60s.
1. Leor Pantilat, 27, San Carlos, CA, 3:48:58 (new course record, old record 3:52:16 by Erik Skaggs, 2008)
2. Gary Gellin, 43, Menlo Park, CA, 4:10:05
3. Matias Saari, 41, Anchorage, AK, 4:12:45
4. Van McCarty, 41, San Luis Obispo, CA, 4:16:24
5. Jonathan Kimura, 31, Cupertino, CA, 4:20:02
1. Cedar Bourgeois, 35, Seward, AK, 4:59:18
2. Kimberly Holak, 42, Duluth, MN, 5:06:29
3. Luanne Park, 51, Redding, CA, 5:10:04
4. Amy Burton, 38, San Jose, CA, 5:12:59
5. Jennifer Pfeifer, 40, El Dorado, CA, 5:19:00
Photo: Leor Pantilat, flying high over the Pacific Ocean on the second leg of the Quad Dipsea (Joel Lanz photo)