Willamette Pass, Oregon, August 18. The 11th annual Waldo 100K, lengthened to 65.6 miles to go around a recent forest fire, was won by Tim Olson and Joelle Vaught.
Olson passed early leader Jacob Rydmnan late in the race after Rydman had held a 10-minute lead for much of the day. Jesse Haynes edged Yassine Diboun for third.
Vaught pulled away from the women’s field after an early battle with Alison Bryant. Runners were treated to a hot, sunny day, with temperatures reaching about 90F in the late afternoon.
The race was the first in the 2012-13 Montrail Ultra Cup Series, and the top two men and women received automatic spots in the 2013 Western States 100. Haynes also qualified, as winner Olson already has an automatic spot, the result of his record win at this year’s Western States.
1. Timothy Olson, 28, Ashland, OR, 9:52:19
2. Jacob Rydman, 27, Rocklin, CA, 9:56:42
3. Jesse Haynes, 39, Capistrano Beach, CA, 10:31:28
4. Yassine Diboun, 33, Portland, OR, 10:35:46
5. Gerad Dean, 35, Mt Shasta, CA, 11:04:01
1. Joelle Vaught, 37, Boise, ID, 11:04:26
2. Denise Bourassa, 42, Bend, OR, 11:22:34
3. Alison Bryant, 33, Elkin, NC, 11:47:04
4. Jennifer Benna, 32, Reno, NV, 12:01:34
5. Kathleen Egan, 39, Seattle, WA, 12:29:36
Complete results are available at http://www.ultralive.net/waldo/webcast.php