Bandera, Texas, January 7. Tim Olson and Cassie Scallon were winners at the Bandera 100K, held in the Texas hill country west of San Antonio. Olson ran away from a strong men’s field to notch the win. Dave Mackey finished ten minutes back and Joe Uhan of Eugene, Oregon finished third to grab an automatic spot at Western States via the Montrail Ultra Cup.
Scallon, who won JFK 50 in November, and defending champion Liza Howard traded leads for the first half of the race before Scallon pulled away. Runners were treated to sunny skies and temperatures peaking at about 70F, which most found very warm for racing in early January. The race served as the USATF National 100K Trail Championship.
1. Timothy Olson, 28, Ashland, OR, 8:28:38
2. Dave Mackey, 42, Novato, CA, 8:38:28
3. Joe Uhan, 34, Eugene, OR, 8:38:53
4. Dylan Bowman, 25, Aspen, CO, 8:40:05
5. Nick Clark, 37, Fort Collins, CO, 8:57:30
1. Cassie Scallon, 29, Watertown, WI, 9:40:18
2. Liza Howard, 39, San Antonio, TX, 9:56:27
3. Pam Smith, 37, Salem, OR, 10:04:49
4. Bree Lambert, 43, San Jose, CA, 11:25:37
5. Jacqueline Palmer, 23, Newark, DE, 12:08:24
Photo: Tim Olson at the 2010 Waldo 100K (Laurie Monico photo)