Front Royal, Virginia, May 17. Karl Meltzer of Sandy, Utah dominated the field in winning the Massanutten Mountain Trails 100-Mile Endurance Run, which finished here today. Meltzer, who won the race for the second time, finished more than two hours ahead of Glen Redpath, who edged Mike Mason for second.
Amy Sproston of Washington, DC was the women’s winner, finishing comfortably ahead of Sheryl Wheeler.
Webmaster Anstr Davidson noted, “We had it all — heat, humidity, rain, cold, wind, hail, etc. There were traffic accidents, dead batteries and, at least 63 runners who dropped out.” At the 30-hour mark, only 40 of the 173 starters had finished. The race has a 36-hour time limit.
Photo at left: Winner Karl Meltzer (right) is greeted by Race Director Stan Duobinis (photo courtesy Virginia Happy Trails Running Club)
1. Karl Meltzer, 41, Sandy, UT, 18:29:57
2. Glen Redpath, 43, New York, NY, 20:42:44
3. Mike Mason, 38, Charlotte, NC, 20:43:04
4. Keith Knipling, 33, Washington, DC, 22:32:48
5. Adam Casseday, 28, Beverly, WV, 22:39:28
1. Amy Sproston, 34, Washington, DC, 24:59:55
2. Sheryl Wheeler, 46, Rhinebeck, NY, 26:47:47
3. Robin Meagher, 28, Atlanta, GA, 26:51:15
4. Donna Utakis, 41, Amherst, MA, 27:25:00
5. Vicki Kendall, 56, Arlington, VA, 28:00:24