Stinson Beach, California, May 5. Dave Mackey and Tina Lewis were winners at the 17th annual Miwok 100K. The revamped course, necessitated when park officials closed the former start/finish location, was considerably more difficult than the previous course and times in general were more than an hour slower. The new course has eight major climbs, and a total of about 13,000 feet of elevation gain and loss.
Chris Price held off a late rush by Jesse Haynes for second. Haynes closed from 8 minutes back to within seconds, but could not breach the gap.
Tina Lewis of Boulder, Colorado pulled away from Bethany Lewis (no relation) of Salt Lake City in the later stages of the race for the women’s victory.
Runners were treated to a sunny, warm day, with temperatures in the mid-70s at the beach and very little of the typical ocean breezes. Only 264 of the 350 starters finished the race.
1. Dave Mackey, 42, Boulder, CO, 9:14:06
2. Chris Price, 31, Thousand Oaks, CA, 9:28:30
3. Jesse Haynes, 39, Vista, CA, 9:28:55
4. Christopher Wehan, 30, Santa Cruz, CA, 9:44:58
5. Adam Lint, 28, Seattle, WA, 9:45:44
1. Tina Lewis, 39, Boulder, CO, 10:35:47
2. Bethany Lewis, 34, Salt Lake City, UT, 10:49:19
3. Helen Cospolich, 35, Breckenridge, CO, 11:22:13
4. Jennifer Benna, 32, Reno, NV, 11:26:43
5. Ragan Petrie, 46, Arlington, VA, 11:27:47
Photo, top: Dave Mackey running through the spring wildflowers (Glenn Tachiyama photo)
Tina Lewis on Randall Trail (John Medinger photo)