Bandera, Texas, January 9. Dave Mackey and Liza Howard were winners at the first significant 2011 ultra, the Bandera 100K held in the Texas Hill Country near Austin. Mackey pulled away from Dave James and Geoff Roes, setting a new course record by an hour in the win. Roes, suffering the residual effects of a head cold, dropped at the 50-km mark.
Howard held of Pam Smith for the women’s victory, also smashing the existing course record by nearly an hour. The top four men and the top three women were all under the previous course records. Runners braved chilly temperatures, only 29F at the start, warming to the low 60s by late afternoon.
1. Dave Mackey, 41, Boulder, CO, 8:16:48 (course record, previous record 9:16:57 by Nick Clark, 2010)
2. Dave James, 32, Northfield, OH, 8:33:36
3. Jason Bryant, 38, Elkin, NC, 8:57:19
4. Dan Olmstead, 38, Eugene, OR, 8:57:42
5. Steven Moore, 32, Austin, TX, 9:32:32
1. Liza Howard, 38, San Antonio, TX, 9:35:23 (course record, previous record 10:33:18 by Jill Perry and Eliza Lapierre, 2010)
2. Pam Smith, 36, Salem, OR, 9:46:32
3. Meghan Arbogast, 49, Corvallis, OR, 10:19:53
4. Amber Monforte, 32, Reno, NV, 10:59:18
5. Bridget DeLaRosa Lopez, 37, San Antonio, TX, 11:12:36