Huntsville, Texas, February 4. Hal Koerner of Ashland, Oregon ran his third sub-14-hour 100-miler in a year in winning the 14th annual Rocky Raccoon 100. Koerner shaved 90 seconds off his PR, set here last year while finishing third to Ian Sharman and Anton Krupicka. Sharman led early in the race but dropped after 60 miles.
Sabrina Moran of Sussex, New Jersey was the women’s winner, winning by nearly three hours. Vikki Baylis edged Liza Canowitz for second. Warm, humid weather and rain showers were the order of the day. There were 218 finishers within the race’s 30-hour time limit.
1. Hal Koerner, 36, Ashland, OR, 13:24:52
2. Karl Meltzer, 45, Sandy, UT, 14:17:42
3. Oswaldo Lopez, 40, Madera, CA, 14:30:58
4. Brooks Williams, 29, Colorado Springs, CO, 14:58:37
5. Josh Katzman, 32, Arlington, MA, 15:35:57
1. Sabrina Moran, 25, Sussex, NJ, 17:06:10
2. Vikki Baylis, 40, Burlington, ON, 20:01:51
3. Liza Canowitz, 36, New Albany, OH, 20:09:18
4. Sherrie Klover, 44, Bonner Springs, KS, 22:24:19
5. Rachel Ballard, 47, San Antonio, TX, 22:33:57
Right: Hal Koerner (photo courtesy The North Face)
Top: Sabrina Moran at the 2011 Trans-Rockies Run (photo courtesy Sabrina Moran)