San Diego, CA, June 7. Suzanna Bon of Sonoma, California broke the women’s course record in winning the San Diego 100-Mile Endurance Run which finished here today. Bon, who also holds the course record at the Angeles Crest 100, broke Kim Holak’s 2007 record by 16 minutes and finished fourth overall. Jane Larkindale edged Angela Shartel for second. All three finished in the top 10 overall.
In the men’s race, Ben Hian of nearby Carlsbad, California completed a successful year-long comeback and edged local veteran Tom Nielsen for the win. Hian, a four-time Angeles Crest 100 winner, last competed in a 100-mile race in 1998. 82 of the race’s 125 starters completed the race within the 31-hour time limit.
The race was held under cloudy, windy and unusually cool temperatures on Saturday, before yielding to typical San Diego mild sunshine on Sunday.
Photo at left: Suzanna Bon at the finish with Race Director Scott Mills. Bon lost a contact lens at mile 85 and finished the race wearing glasses. (Sam Bon photo)
1. Ben Hian, 40, Carlsbad, CA, 18:15:45
2. Tom Nielsen, 49, San Diego, CA, 18:21:35
3. Brian Krogmann, 31, Glendale, CA, 18:23:27
4. Jonas Hansen, 33, San Diego, CA, 19:46:48
5. Rick Gaston, 37, San Francisco, CA, 20:00:25
1. Suzanna Bon, 44, Sonoma, CA, 19:32:19 (course record, old record 19:48:00 by Kim Holak, 2007)
2. Jane Larkindale, 34, Tucson, AZ, 21:04:57
3. Angela Shartel, 35, San Diego, CA, 21:17:55
4. Katie Murphy, 26, San Ramon, CA, 22:29:58
5. Megan Yu, 33, Delmar, CA, 23:31:18