Raleigh, North Carolina, March 28. Zach Gingerich of Aurora, Illinois destroyed the course record under ideal conditions at the 17th annual Umstead 100 Mile Endurance Run. Gingerich’s time of 13:23:02 was 75 minutes under David Luljack’s old course record. Serge Arbona and Glen Redpath finished second and third, respectively. Both were also under the previous record.
Jill Perry also broke her own women’s record, bettering her 2009 mark by four minutes.
The course is a USATF certified 12.5-mile loop, with 12 miles of hard-packed granite screening material and the other half mile dirt that is a little bit rocky. There is about 8,000 feet of elevation change in the 100 miles. A total of 134 runners completed the course within the 30-hour time limit.
1. Zach Gingerich, 30, Aurora, IL, 13:23:02 (new course record, old record 14:38:43 by David Luljack, 1999)
2. Serge Arbona, 45, Baltimore, MD, 14:09:16
3. Glen Redpath, 44, New York, NY, 14:27:51
4. Jay Smithberger, 40, Granville, OH, 15:22:13
5. Jonathan Savage, 43, Charlotte, NC, 15:58:44
1. Jill Perry, 39, Manlius, NY, 15:58:16 (new course record, old record 16:02:27 by Perry, 2009)
2. Sabrina Moran, 23, Williamsburg, VA, 17:21:10
3. Anna Piskorska, 37, Blandon, PA, 18:43:23
4. Jennifer Aradi, 35, Chicago, IL, 18:45:23
5. Susan Lance, 50, Whitesburg, GA, 19:59:29
Photos: Umstead 100 winners Jill Perry (left) and Zach Gingerich (photos by Ben Dillon)