Bellingham, Washington, March 17. Adam Campbell and Ellie Greenwood were winners at the 20th annual Chuckanut 50K. Campbell, from Victoria, BC, benefitted from a missed turn taken by then leader Max King at the 21 mile mark. Fellow British Columbian Jason Loutitt then assumed the lead, only to lose eight places to the deep field in the last 6 miles.
Ellie Greenwood, who is in the process of moving from Banff, Alberta to North Vancouver, BC, broke her own course record in notching her second straight win.
Runners were treated to three inches of fresh snow during the race and very muddy stretches of trail along Chuckanut Ridge. The sun finally made an appearance about six hours into the race, though the temperature never exceeded 40F. There were a record 553 finishers.
1. Adam Campbell, 33, Victoria, BC, 3:48:55
2. Sage Canaday, 26, Sheridan, OR, 3:49:28
3. Jason Schlarb, 33, Boulder, CO, 3:49:58
4. Christopher Kohler, 26, Missoula, MT, 3:51:07
5. Dane Mitchell, 34, Boulder, CO, 3:51:15
1. Ellie Greenwood, 33, Banff, AB, 4:09:27 (new course record, old record 4:12:22 by Greenwood, 2011)
2. Jodee Adams-Moore, 29, Sedro-Woolly, WA, 4:33:47
3. Joelle Vaught, 37, Boise, ID, 4:35:15
4. Pam Smith, 37, Salem, OR, 4:37:59
5. Melanie Bos, 39, Kelowna, BC, 4:44:03