Swan Lake, Montana, July 31. Dan Barger and Eva Pastalkova were the winners in the inaugural running of the Swan Crest 100-Mile Endurance Run, a point-to-point race along Montana’s Alpine #7 Trail from Swan Lake to Hungry Horse, just south of Glacier National Park. The event had received some resistance from a local environmentalist who expressed concern about runners in grizzly bear habitat, but was allowed to proceed by local Forest Service officials.
Forty-four runners started the race, but only 20 made it to the finish within the 36-hour time limit.
1. Dan Barger, 44, Auburn, CA, 24:37
2. Scott Gaiser, 48, Kalispell, MT, 26:24
3. Justin Yates, 27, Missoula, MT, 27:21
4. Tim Stroh, 48, Arlington, WA, 27:42
5. Tom Hayes, 59, Bozeman, MT, 31:08
1. Eva Pastalkova, 34, Ashburn, VA, 28:06
2. Jody Aslett, 42, Sandpoint, ID, 28:50
3. Liz Bauer, 51, Plainview, GA, 33:05