The North Face Ultra Vertical is an offshoot of the company’s Ultra MT trail runner, with an aggressive outsole, high breathability in the upper, and a nice blend of cushioning and protection through the midsole.
- Weight: 10.7 oz
- Stack heights: 20mm heel / 14mm forefoot
- 6mm heel-toe drop
- High resilience EVA in top layer of midsole for stability
- Cushioned EVA in bottom layer of midsole for comfort
- Forefoot Snake Plate for rock protection
- Vibram Megagrip outsole with directional 5mm lugs
- Reinforced toe offers protection
- FlashDry moisture wicking ankle collar
- Three color options
- MSRP $120
We’ve logged extensive vertical mileage through the spring in advance of upcoming mountain ultras this summer, and the Ultra Vertical has become one of our favorites for steep training. One standout feature is the aggressive outsole with multidirectional 5mm lugs to help you grip ascents and control your speed and direction when descending.
The underfoot achieves a great blend of comfort and protection. A forefoot Snake Plate helps disperse impact in the front foot, while thicker EVA foam in the heel area cushions the rearfoot landing. The overall platform is fairly low to the ground for stability, and the 6mm offset is the sweet spot between accommodating forefoot strikers but allowing you to push the pace with increased heel impact.
The North Face Ultra Vertical is available now online and in stores.