Fourteen quality races, three disciplines, the same winning formula. The inaugural 2014 US Skyrunning Series is the natural expansion of the international Skyrunning events that have captured the imagination of runners globally. There will be National Skyrunning Series in numerous countries in 2014, which will be announced in January 2014.
What the Series Will Look Like
Five Sky, five Ultra and four Vertical races are distributed across the country, offering expanded opportunities to run in some of the most beautiful locations in the US.
312 miles of racing include over 100,000 feet of vertical climb with inclines that will truly push the best mountain runners to their limits and offer unique experiences for every competitor. Distance + Vertical = Skyrunning.
Legendary, iconic and prestigious events make up the calendar, with many of the Vertical races doubling up at Sky and Ultra events. Many of the races have been created or adjusted specifically for the US Skyrunning Series, broadening the scope of competitive and spectacular Skyrunning races globally.
As Ian Sharman, the Director of the US Skyrunning Series states: “Ever since I first saw Skyrunning at Transvulcania, it captured my imagination with the audacity and beauty of the courses and sheer difficulty of the races. The events are some of the toughest around but leave runners wanting more, from the leaders to the back of the pack. So I’m really pumped and honored to bring the original Skyrunning concept to the US on a wider scale with some of the most exciting races around.”
Videos of two of the races can be found at the following links to give a clearer picture of the styles of races included in the Series:
2014 Race Schedule
1. COLORADO: Kendall Mt Run – 12 miles – Silverton – July 19
2. COLORADO: La Maratona Verticale – 27 miles – Breckenridge – August 3
3. WASHINGTON: Angels Staircase – 22 miles – Carlton – August 10
4. WASHINGTOIN: Name TBC – 26 miles – Venue TBC – late September
5. ARIZONA: Flagstaff Endurance Runs – 23 miles – Flagstaff – October 5
1. GEORGIA: Cruel Jewel – 56 miles – Blue Ridge – May 16
2. UTAH: Speedgoat – 31 miles – Snowbird – July 19
3. WASHINGTON: Angels Staircase – 37 miles – Carlton – August 9
4. MONTANA: The Rut – 31 miles – Big Sky – September 13
5. ARIZONA: Flagstaff Endurance Runs – 35 miles – Flagstaff – October 5
1. NEW HAMPSHIRE: Name TBC – Mt Washington – Date TBC
2. COLORADO: La Maratona Verticale VK – Breckenridge – August 2
3. MONTANA: Lone Peak VK – Big Sky – September 12
4. ARIZONA: Flagstaff Endurance Runs VK – Flagstaff – October 5
The three best results in each Series are scored in the overall ranking for each runner. Ranking points in the final races of all three Series will be increased by 20%. Ranking points breakdown: 100-88-78-72-68-66-64-62-60-58-56-54-52-50 down to 2 points to 40th position for men and 15th position for women.
Total prizes: TBA in January 2014. Also prize money in every individual race.
*Entry is direct with organizers.
Slots are available for 2013 SWS and ISF Ranked athletes. Details to follow.
SKY – races more than 22 km and less than 50 km long with at least 1,300m positive vertical climb (SkyRace® and SkyMarathon®)
ULTRA – races over 50 km long that exceed the SkyMarathon® parameters (Ultra SkyMarathon®)
VERTICAL – races with 1,000m positive vertical climb not exceeding 5 km distance (Vertical Kilometer®)
Skyrunner®, SkyRace®, SkyMarathon®, Vertical Kilometer® are registered trademarks
The US Skyrunning Series can be found at the following online locations:
Website – www.usskyrunning.com
Facebook – www.facebook.com/USSkyrunning
Twitter – @usskyrunning